Monday, April 25, 2011

Jonny Lang - I Could Have Had A V8

At the invitation of one of my usual accomplices, Hot Hips Houlihan, I ventured out Thursday night to catch Jonny Lang perform at Austin City Limits Live in downtown Austin. Hot Hips is a rabid Jonny Lang fan, where I was only casually acquainted with his work.

This was my first trip to the Moody Theater. Am I the only one disappointed in the new ACL venue? I didn’t find anything intimate or special about it. This is a strictly large scale stadium style music venue. I find very little musical magic in such a setting. I can achieve the same experience sitting at home watching Palladia, and I wouldn’t have to pay $15 for the Grey Goose in a plastic cup and $20 for valet parking.

Jonny seems to be on top of his craft. He’s clearly a very talented song writer and guitar player. He’s assembled a tight group of crack musicians. The music was well executed, and yet the venue left the entire experience mired in mediocrity. He ended his set with a revamped version of Lie to Me, which finally caught my interest. Unfortunately, that was the end of his set.

Afterward, sitting in the bar at the W & sipping a sublime martini, I couldn’t help but conclude that blues is something that needs a more intimate setting. If you can’t feel it, what’s the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment