Monday, April 18, 2011

Sol Driven Train – Kitschy and Catchy

I admit it.  Thursday night I walked into Antone’s with my mind, heart and soul ready for Tab Benoit and searing blues.  It was a lovely surprise to encounter Sol Driven Train (http://www.soldriventrain.com/) as the opening band. 

I spotted them resting in the downstairs living area of the VIP section on our way to our seats.  The first thing I noticed: Joel Timmons (lead guitar and vocalist) sporting a Sgt. Pepper style blue military jacket.  The next thing was Russell Clarke (saxophone and vocalist) with the fluffiest beard I have ever seen.  Ever.  We passed this motley crew on our way up the stairs, and I found myself intensely curious as to what these guys had brought to the club. Little did I know….

The opening lyrics of the first song went like this: “What should we do with your body, after you’re dead and gone.  Would you prefer the backyard or the lawn? Should we throw you in the river or bury you by the sea? Or back behind the church in the old cemetery with your family?”  Wow - what the hell?  But as startled as I was by that sentiment, I found myself tapping my foot when the rest of the band joined the song.  It actually evolved into something uplifting and light.  They followed with a song called “Are You a Vampire?” and I was hooked. 

These guys defy categorization.  They are the auditory cure for melancholy.  They move deftly from songs with a reggae beat and distinct island sound to rock to country to zydeco to lighthearted ballads.  The guitar work is subtle and crisp.  They have brass, and the bass is spot-on.  The drums are tasteful, exotic, and masterfully executed.  And their lyrics caught me off-guard every time.  Plus, they have a “box” onstage, which is one of my favorite new percussive accessories. 

Toward the end of the set, they actually covered Toto’s Africa.  Who would have thought?  It was wonderful, with an entertaining drumming interlude in the middle, where Joel and Russell ventured out into the audience with drumsticks and played whatever inanimate object looked interesting.  It was fucking awesome.  And that's not just the Grey Goose talking.
After the show, most of the band made their way into the VIP balcony to watch Tab’s set.  At one point, I was distracted from my Tab Trance by a Sol Driven Train discussion.  Apparently, somewhere nearby, a club was holding a Shake-Weight Contest.  The guys were intrigued and interested.  “Um, hey guys, I’m just sayin’, I know you are from South Carolina, and I don’t know how things roll there, but if that contest is at the Firefly, there might be something you should know, but hey, it’s okay if that’s how you like your bread buttered, cause you know it’s Austin and we get it….”

Alas, I never learned if they found that Shake-Weight Contest.  Hopefully what they did find was a hospitable city they will add to their next tour.  These guys had a vibe that felt right at home and I’d love the chance to catch them again.

1 comment:

  1. Hot Hips and I ran into Russ at the end of the night. They did find the contest, none of them won. He seemed sad! ;)

    They were a nice bunch of guys and I will certainly look to add some of their music to our collection.

    The "box" you keep mentioning is Cajon Box Drum. I have one and it is indeed very cool!

    http://www.cajon-drum.com/prositeindex.cfm?userid=cajon%20drum

    ReplyDelete