Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Aaron Einhouse – He Had Me From The Word Cougar….

On Saturday night, I heard that Rodney Parker and 50 Peso Reward were in the neighborhood, so I ventured out to Marble Falls in search of breeze, cold beer, eats and music.  The River City Grille delivered all these and more.

We arrived about midway through the opening act.  I had heard of Aaron Einhouse but was unfamiliar with his music: what a delightful discovery!  Anyone who knows me understands that one direct path to my affections starts with a man and his guitar, alone on stage, plying his craft, with no embellishment.  I am delighted to have my first experience with Aaron begin in such a fashion. 

Aaron’s voice is pure Texas – clear, with a slight drawl.  His tunes fall cleanly on the country side of the Americana genre.  A Texas style troubadour, his songs are celebrations of the land and the human experience – stories told with insight and occasional humor.  His smile is engaging, and a true love of his craft radiates in an aura around him. 

I found myself smiling as he sang “Fallin’ Insane” with its staccato guitar and the question, “Am I goin’ insane or falling in love?”  How many times have I asked that same question?  When he sang “The Cougar Song”, I was horrified, but hooked. 

“She was the hottest thing around, around 15 years ago,
but her friends all tell her she’s still lookin’ fine. 
And if she keeps on buying drinks, you might not tell her no,
when she asks you if you need a ride.
Cause she’s a cougar, she’s a prowler, she’s huntin’ night and day. 
A sexual predator and you’d love to be her prey,
cause she’s a cougar, she’s a prowler, she’s constantly in pursuit.
Yeah she’s young enough to enjoy it and she’s old enough…
to know what she’s doin’.”

Haha! So I will be at the Saxon Pub on May 18 for another taste.  But I won’t ask him if he needs a ride home....

1 comment: