Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Rob Baird – Not Dangerous, More Like a Convenience

I caught Rob Baird at the Saxon Pub a couple of weeks ago, where he was celebrating the release of his new CD, I Swear It’s the Truth.  I found his show entertaining and easy to enjoy.  He’s clearly a talented songwriter and vocalist.  Dreams and Gasoline is the opening track.  Both on the CD and live it moves along at a nice pace and has that country radio hook. This is true of Same Damn Thing and most of the other songs on the CD.

There really isn’t anything objectionable about Rob Baird, but I find myself wishing for a little more adventure.  In my view, country music is at it’s best when it takes a little risk, when it steps across a line now and then. You won’t find any risk taking on I Swear It’s the Truth, which is probably what makes him perfect for mainstream country radio.  In fact, he’ll probably be CMA Artist of the Year in another 4 years. 

The problem with mainstream country radio is this: one or two songs along, I find myself looking for another station.

Same damn thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment